Things you cannot live without in a New Apartment
Before planning your apartment move, you might also look through our other insightful articles so you will be better prepared to plan your move. See these articles on how to find an apartment to rent:
You found an apartment, you signed the lease, you wrote the check. Congrats, you’re now all ready to move into your first apartment! Except, wait a minute, you’re not. You need things to put in the apartment. And what, exactly, do you need?
Sure, you know you need toilet paper, pans, dishes, towels and other common essentials, but there are a lot of things you probably take for granted at your current residence that you won’t realize how much they are needed until you reach for them, and they are not there. You will understand the need for this list the first time you go to open a can of soup, and you don’t have a can opener!
You really do not need to run out and spend a fortune on furniture quite yet. You can get by with the bare minimum. Spend your money stocking your apartment with items you actually need.
We simplified the list by dividing it into specific categories: kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, cleaning supplies & other.
Everyone will have different needs when it comes to kitchen supplies. For example, a raw food vegan will need a dehydrator and food processor as opposed to the person who loves to cook extravagant meals. This list is merely a guide. To have a workable kitchen, make sure to have…
- Dish soap, Sponges
- Pot holders, Oven mitts, Dish towels
- Pots and pans, Colander
- Cutlery, Cooking utensils, Potato Peeler
- Cutting board
- Plates and bowls, Serving dishes
- Glasses and coffee mugs
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Paper towel holder, Paper towels
- Food storage containers and bags, Aluminum foil and plastic wrap
- Garbage can & bags – If you don’t plan on buying these things, I would love if you wrote back to enlighten me on how that’s working out for you. Truly.
- Bottle and can opener
- Salt/Pepper Shakers, Various Spices – I’m not a fan of bland food. Oregano, parsley, thyme, basil, garlic, paprika, onion powder, cinnamon, ginger…these are all your friends!
- Blender, Toaster, Coffeemaker
You spend lots of time in the bathroom everyday. You get ready there, relax, use the bathroom, clean, etc. Make it a place worth spending time in. Essential things you will need to create a comfortable bathroom for yourself and your guests:
- Hand and bath towels – When people wash up, they don’t want to use the towels you used to dry your body with after a shower. They are extremely cheap and you can even buy a nice, full bathroom towel set so that you look like you actually planned a nice looking apartment.
- Hand soap, Shampoo and conditioner,
- Air freshener – Don’t give your guests reason to have embarrassment.
- Rugs – I hate stepping out of a shower wet thinking I’m going to slip on the floor and go smashing face first to my doom. Rugs keep the water contained and keep the bathroom looking nice and well put-together
- Shower curtain
- Toilet paper, Toilet brush
- Toothbrush holder, toothbrush, Toothpaste
- Comb, Hair dryer, Hair styling products,
- Trash bin
If you are on a budget, buying second-hand makes sense. One exception, though, is your bed. You spend a third of your life, sometimes more, in your bed, so buy the best bed you can afford.
- Sheets, Blankets, Pillow, Pillow case
- Under-the-bed or closet storage containers – Maximize your bedroom space and avoid clutter with a large under-the-bed box
- Full-length mirror
- Reading lamp
Cleaning Supplies – Gotta keep the place clean!
- Broom and dustpan
- Welcome mat
- Wall hooks for jackets, keys, etc.
- Batteries Double A and triple A are the most commonly needed ones! And NOTHING is more a pain in the butt that wanting to use something badly and having to run to the store to get more.
- Storage solutions
- First aid kit
- Extension cords I literally DEPEND on these things.
The smartest thing you can do is create a list of everything you need. Adjust accordingly. You don’t have to write it all in one day; this can be an ongoing list for a few days which will ensure that you don’t forget anything. This way, you can prioritize the list, and buy the things you absolutely need first.